1 2/3 c. 00 double zero flour
5 c. Hi-Gluten (Pizza) flour
OR use 6 2/3 c. Unbleached Bread Flour
2 tsp. instant yeast
2 tsp. sea salt
3 c. warm water (about 90˚F)
5/6 c. 00 double zero flour
2 ½ c. Hi-Gluten (Pizza) flour
OR use 3 1/3 c. Unbleached Bread Flour
1 tsp. instant yeast
1 tsp. sea salt
1.5 c. warm water (about 90˚F)
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer (or if you are doing this by hand, the biggest bowl you have), dissolve the yeast and salt in the water. Let stand 10 minutes. Meanwhile you can measure out the flour and mix together the two types of flours if you are using the two types.
2. Add all the flour at once. Turn mixer to lowest speed until dough becomes soft and silky. Work for another five mutes. By hand do the same thing and once soft and silky work for no more than 10 minutes. This dough has fairly high water content and may tend to stick a bit. Be sure to flour all your working surfaces well. In a bowl, cover the dough w/ plastic wrap and then a towel. Allow to rise until double in size, about 1 ½ hours.
3. Once dough has doubled in size, divide into the appropriate number of pieces (either 4 or 8). Work into smooth balls. Lay out dough balls on a sheet pan, cover with plastic wrap and a towel. Allow to rise for at least 2 hours. ½ hour before you are ready to make the pizzas, preheat your oven with the baking stone inside at 450˚F
4. Once the dough has rested for the second time, you are ready to make the pizzas. On a well floured surface begin to flatten the dough ball with your fingertips beginning from the inside out and moving in a circular fashion to create a thicker crust at the edges. You can now stretch the dough by dangling it from your fists or fingertips and moving in a circular fashion. This will take some practice. You can also try tossing the pizzas. Using your fists, again, cross your hands one over the other with the pizza dangling from your knuckles. With a quick tossing motion uncross your hands, in the process tossing the pizza into the air, spinning it and stretching it out in circular manner. Another option is to use a pin to roll out the pizzas. Pizza should be thin in the middle and thicker as you move out. Place the pizza on a floured peel (you can use a piece of cardboard if you dont have a peel).
5. You can bake the pizzas with nothing on them, freeze them and use them for a quick meal later on or you can bake the pizzas with the toppings for a fresh meal. Recipe ideas for pizzas to follow. You want to bake the pizzas until they are light golden brown, between 6-8 minutes.